The Wrigley Kids

Monday, March 08, 2010

Where was I?

A few nights ago, while I was putting Katie to bed, she asked me why she's not in any of the pictures where Kyle is a baby.

I told her she wasn't born yet when Kyle was a baby.  So she asked, "Then where was I Daddy?"

"Well, you were nowhere", I said.

That was not what she expected to hear. She paused, then asked "Was I hiding?"

So I thought for a moment, then softly said, "No Katie,  you weren't even born yet. You weren't hiding. You didn't even exist."

"But was I in the house?" she asked.

So again I tried to explain, "No sweetie. You weren't in the house. When Kyle was born, we didn't have two children.  We only had one baby.  You were born when Kyle was almost three years old."

She thought for a minute and really puzzled over the issue and then asked, "Was I in Mommy's belly?"

So I told her she was very smart and acknowledged, "Before you were born, you were in Mommy's belly."  But went on to explain that "When Kyle was a baby, you weren't born yet, you weren't even in Mom's belly yet. When Kyle was a baby, we weren't even sure if we were going to have another baby."

After that, she gave up on me.

It was a pretty interesting conversation. I wish I had a video camera running while she was processing this information. The looks she gave me were priceless. I can tell she still doesn't get it.  I could tell she thinks I'm messing with her.

Anyone else ever get this question?  What did you say?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home